Starbucks launched My Starbucks Idea in 2011 to collect ideas from anyone, anywhere. In its first year, it generated over 70,000 ideas directly from consumers. Now, close to seven years later, the site has over 190,000 ideas submitted, 2,000,000 votes placed, and 277 ideas implemented which have led to several innovations to which Starbucks owes its continued success.
Their customers managed to create a number of product and service improvements via the platform and are able to share ideas on the hub regarding anything linked to the brand, specifically:
- In-store experience, and
- Involvement (e.g., social responsibility, community building).
Results of My Starbucks Idea
- Mobile Payment Drive-Thrus – Now you can just roll down your window and use your phone to enjoy your favorite cup of coffee.
- Free Birthday Treat – Over 100,000 customers celebrated their birthday with a free treat over just 2 days last March.
- Cake Pops – More than 5,800,000 cake pop treats enjoyed each year.
- Free Wi-Fi – 7,500 Starbucks locations in the US and Canada have WiFi that can be accessed with just one click and at no cost.